| ZAK Cooperage, formerly Seagrams Distillery, DSP-KY-20. |
In 1899, John and Peter Atherton sold their distilleries in Athertonville to the Whiskey Trust, which operated them until Prohibition. After Prohibition, the property was acquired by members of the Cummins family. The Athertons went on to do other things. John got a high school named after him.
In 1848, Richard Cummins came to Kentucky from Ireland. He was a yeast maker by training. Yeast-making was a specialty occupation that served bakers, brewers, vintners, and distillers. Although most could and did make their own yeast, hiring a specialist was often more cost-effective.
Richard Cummins transitioned from commercial yeast-making to distilling when he worked at distilleries in Kentucky and Illinois mid-century. In 1858, he opened his own Kentucky distillery at Raywick in Marion County. After the Civil War, he built a second distillery near Athertonville called Coon Hollow. Like John and Peter Atherton, Cummins ultimately sold Coon Hollow to the Trust, which folded it into Atherton’s distilleries. Unlike the Athertons, however, the Cummins family remained active in the distilling business.
Arthur Cummins, a nephew of Richard’s, worked for his uncle and learned the yeast-making and distilling trade. Arthur and his sons, Arthur J. and Charles, worked at several whiskey plants and were employed as distillers until Prohibition.
After Prohibition, the Cummins brothers and Hunt Collins built a new distillery in Athertonville, starting with whatever was left of the previous plants. Insufficiently capitalized, they soon sold it to R. L. Buse Co., a Cincinnati whiskey broker.
A decade later, during WWII, Arthur J. formed a partnership with a different Collins. They repurchased and repurposed the Athertonville distillery to make high-proof alcohol for the war effort. Although Collins had the larger interest and was the firm’s president, they named it Cummins-Collins because of the Cummins family’s reputation. Cummins became president when Collins died in 1945.
After WWII, the Cummins-Collins Distillery was converted back into a whiskey plant. The team that built it was a who’s-who of the industry in that era. Walter C. Wagner was the architect. Matt Corcoran & Company, Kentucky's oldest coppersmiths, designed and built the stills. The Henry Vogt Machine Company built and installed the boilers and stokers. H. G. Whittenberg was general contractor. W. E. Caldwell Company built and installed the mash cookers, fermenting tubs, and milling equipment.
The new distillery had a capacity of 220 barrels per day. It had a cooling system that allowed it to run all summer. Its four warehouses had a total capacity of 85,000 barrels. Three warehouses were masonry, one was steel-clad. Everything was state-of-the-art.
One of their bourbons was called Old Knob Creek and inspired the later Suntory product.
Cummins-Collins soon fell to the juggernaut that was the Seagram’s Company. Although ownership changed, the distillery continued to be called Cummins-Collins. Although the whiskey it made was used in many Seagram’s products, Cummins-Collins came to be most associated with the Antique bourbon label.
In 1972, a fire heavily damaged the facility. It was quickly rebuilt, operated until 1987, then closed for good.
In 1990, Bert and Bruce Zimlich acquired the property and repurposed it as a cooperage, making new barrels for the bourbon industry, and refurbishing used barrels. Now known as ZAK Cooperage, they offer a range of custom toasting, charring, and air seasoning options. “Our tailored processes ensure that every barrel we produce surpasses industry standards, preserving and enhancing the integrity of the spirits they hold.” Zach Zimlich is the master cooper and director of operations. Jessica Ann Zimlich handles sales and customer relations.
So, Athertonville today may be tiny, little more than a wide spot in the road (U.S. 31E), but it has been an important part of Kentucky's bourbon industry for 226 years.



