Sunday, July 10, 2011

Keep Vulgarity In Its Place.

I like vulgarity as much as the next guy, but I'm glad it's not everywhere and I would prefer that it stay out of advertising. Vulgarity has power because it's transgressive, anti-establishment, risky. Nothing sucks the juice out of expression or imagery faster than advertising. Plus advertising is plenty vulgar enough already.

I say this as someone who has worked in advertising for 40 years.

Put the middle finger salute in advertising and pretty soon it will be on the Disney channel. 

So that's why I would just as soon that neither Wild Turkey nor Old Crow give me the bird.

For one thing, it's not that funny.

Sort of like Effen Vodka.

1 comment:

Ed Maurer said...

I have to agree Chuck. I'm a big Wild Turkey fan, but the "Give 'em the Bird" campaign has made me rethink where I'm doing spend my bourbon money.

I'm not offended by the ads, but it does represent another coarsening of our culture that is not needed.

Too bad Campari Group choose to put a negative, unneeded vibe on the good buzz they had going with the new distillery, labeling and WT 81 release.