Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Whiskey Don't Keep True Story.

Last Wednesday I told you the story behind the saying, "Whiskey Don't Keep."

That story is fiction but I used to know a guy who did something similar. He was an artist of some renown who would walk from his studio to a nearby small grocery store every afternoon to pick up a sandwich and maybe some potato chips for his lunch, along with a pint bottle of Old Grand-Dad Bourbon. He nursed the bottle throughout the afternoon and shared it freely with me or any other guest who happened to be on hand.

We talked about it once and he said it was his way of keeping his drinking under control. He told me that his daily ritual was generally the only time he drank and he didn't keep any liquor in the home where he lived with his wife and children.

He was a very wise man who taught me much about art and life.

There is no more to it than that. That was 30 years ago and we haven't stayed in touch, although I've followed his artistic career from afar and he continues to be successful.

The moral? Whatever works, I guess.

No comments: