With the summer travel season in full swing, many will head for America's whiskey country. If you're coming south from just about anywhere in the Midwest, you'll likely enter through Louisville, Kentucky's largest city, long known as the Gateway to the South.
Should you stop, or keep going?
Unfortunately, when it comes to whiskey tourism, Louisville right now is all coming attractions.
- The Evan Williams Experience is still under construction.
- Michter's is stalled because their building is unstable.
- The most likely site of the Angel's Envy distillery is known but not confirmed.
- The Bulleit Experience at Stitzel-Weller has been ready for two years, but is still closed to the public. (They do industry stuff there.)
- Another major welcome center is widely rumored but not yet announced.
Maybe next year.